Skip to main content

SOLD OUT Floor Play: Functional Movement Arts for Strength, Mobility, and Flow



WHEN: Saturday, December 8th
TIME: 10 AM to 12:30 PM
LOCATION: My home studio (never been? You'll get the address after you register)
EXPERIENCE LEVEL: Beginner to beyond
COST: $40

VERY LIMITED SPACE. Register here:


SOLD OUT



This workshop is for ALL LEVELS.

When my 85 year old student, Rosemary, fell off of a curb outside the mall, she told me that she kept hearing me in her head, "just relax!" and so she LET herself fall SOFTLY, and she insists that this is why she didn't break anything. All she got was a little cut on her face!

As we age, we THINK that certain things just happen: we lose grip strength, for example, or we think it's too hard to reach for that item on that high shelf or we start saying things like "If I get down on the floor, I won't be able to get up!"

None of that is about age. It's all about user error -- or the lack of using.

We do start "losing" certain types of mobility but guess what? For most of us, it starts in our 20s because we start doing less and sitting more. We seek out the most comfortable chair instead of plopping to the floor. We avoid stairs. We don't get on the ground and PLAY.

That is where this workshop comes in.

Pulling from all kinds of modalities, including Capoeira, modern dance, yoga, butoh, and the field of biomechanics, we'll be fooling the body into doing MORE by being more CREATIVE and playful. We'll even be experimenting with gentle falling.

When I first started to dance and create movement art seriously again ten years ago, I got strong and fit really fast.

BUT NOTHING prepared me for the kind of strong and fit I got once I faced my enemy -- the FLOOR! HA!

Seriously... I NEVER was a dancer in my youth who wanted to be on the floor. It felt awkward. I couldn't find any flow.

And it was DIFFICULT.

But as a teacher, I know it's important to do things you don't like to do, and so I set myself the challenge of getting decent on the floor.

Now it's one of my favorite spaces to work. And my students who have had the same initial struggles eventually come to the same conclusion.

This work is about exploration and flow and grace and creativity and finding the challenges.

This is about purposeful misalignment and purposeful awkwardness and purposeful discomfort to build your body's vocabulary in every way.

We will build your capacity for this work bit by bit and you'll leave already feeling more comfortable on the floor and with a whole new toolbox to explore.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kundalini Yoga & Bodypoetics Movement Art: Winter Session One

REMINDER: I sell sessions as six weeks of class. If you miss a class, there can be an opportunity to make up with another night, but your attendance is up to you, of course. Classes are nonrefundable and nontransferable (unless you're buying for someone). These classes are for EVERY BODY and NO EXPERIENCE IS NECESSARY for any class I teach. Make sure to bring water and dress in layers. Door opens right at 5:20. (If you've not been to my home studio, you'll get the address after registering. I'm very near the Whole Foods Coop.) VIDHI Kundalini YOGA SUNDAYS, 5:30 to 7 PM January 6, 13, 20, 27 and February 3, 10 COST: $80 for six weeks Kundalini yoga is the basis of this class, and if you have any back or hip issues, this is the yoga for you. Kundalini is the flowing, moving, breathing, feminine lineage of yoga born of Tantra, the yoga of our solid, sensory experience of this life. This yoga is JOY! Vidhi is ritual, energy yoga meant to...

NEW LOCATIONS, NEW STUDIO, Next Session of BodyPoetics and WaterSpine Yoga

OH EM GEEEEEEE!!! If you're allergic to cats, this is EXTRA great news, but it's GREAT news regardless. (If you've taken classes in my home studio, you know there are... cat hairs involved. ha.) We have a space, people, and it's super beautiful. See those photos. They can't even do it justice. SO PRETTY and a bathroom that is ten times prettier than my own. Maybe I will move in! For the month of June, there are two spaces: one for Sunday yoga and another for the BodyPoetics Dance classes so just pay attention to that when you're registering. The Usual Stuff: Classes are paid in full by the start of the session. There are no refunds for missed classes but I do my best to make sure you have options to make up. Wear comfortable clothing and bring water. If you're taking yoga, bring a mat if you have one. The door opens 15 minutes before the start of class. Please be a few minutes early so we can start on time. WATERSPINE YOGA...

WaterSpine Yoga: Final Class of the Year Open to ONLINE STUDENTS from ANYWHERE

WHEN: Either LIVE on the date below OR Remember that you have the option of watching the video ANY TIME AFTER the actual class because it's recorded and you'll have access until December 31st: Sunday, December 15th, 5:25 to 7 PM EST (Or anytime the week after via the video) COST: $20 (the same drop in rate I charge people locally) After you preregister, you'll receive information about the COMPLETELY PRIVATE Facebook out of which the class will be run. YOU MUST BE ON FACEBOOK to take this class. YOU MUST PREREGISTER: WHAT IS WATERSPINE YOGA? WaterSpine Yoga will take you deeply into your center and will help you to unleash the power and beauty and flow of your spine. Ultimately the power and beauty and flow of your spine will spill over into your entire life. WaterSpine Yoga is elemental and primal and natural. It’s breath based and always begins with the breath linking one to all. Breath is the key. I add lots of special sauce and sprinkles that co...